Bariatric surgery is an effective way to lose weight rapidly – typically allowing patients to shed hundreds of pounds in just 12 to 24 months. Radically transforming the body, weight loss surgery often happens so rapidly that the skin does not have time to shrink accordingly. This can leave an almost shocking amount of loose and sagging skin to drape over the body and obscure the results of your weight loss procedure.
Dealing With Excess Skin After Weight Loss
In cases where weight was lost through diet and exercise, excess skin is not typically an issue. However, with rapid and massive weight loss, sagging skin is almost always present.
Excess skin hanging off of the body is unattractive. It’s also limiting. It can be very difficult to find clothing that fits well when loose skin is hanging off of thighs, around the hips and belly, and below the arms. Worse still, physical ability can be limited by the weight and bulk of sagging skin, producing problems with mobility and comfort.
Sadly, this skin is unlikely to shrink or disappear on its own.
Post Bariatric Surgery Body Contouring
To address the issue of excess skin, board-certified Oklahoma City plastic surgeon Dr. Jayesh Panchal offers post weight loss body contouring packages that combine several body sculpting techniques to address the specific issues brought about by massive weight loss.
Procedures that may be included in plastic surgery after weight loss surgery include:
- Liposuction. Liposuction is used to target and remove the stubborn pockets of fat that have refused to respond to your weight loss efforts. Dr. Panchal offers a wide range of liposuction techniques, including PAL, UAL, and SmartLipo®, enabling him to select the correct technique for each patient’s specific needs.
- Tummy Tuck Surgery. Abdominoplasty is essential after rapid weight loss. This procedure firms and reattaches separated abdominal muscles, eliminates excess skin from the hips, waist, belly, and low back, and helps to draw-in and define the entire midsection of the body.
- Breast Reduction. Female breast reduction helps bring the bust into ideal alignment with the rest of the body. Male breast reduction addresses gynecomastia to restore a firm and masculine appearance to the chest.
- Buttock Sculpting. Excess fat removed through liposuction can be cleaned, processed, and reinjected into your derriere to produce a healthy, full, lifted, and natural-looking backside.
- Arm Lift. Arm lift surgery removes excess skin and fat from the triceps area to restore a contoured and defined upper arm.
- Thigh Lift. A thigh lift removes loose and sagging skin from the inner and outer thigh, working to sculpt the area between the knee and the groin to perfectly complement the surrounding areas.
How Many Body Contouring Procedures Will I Need?
The number of post weight loss body contouring techniques that will need to be combined to produce the look of your dreams will be dependent on factors unique to your body and experience. The best way to learn which procedures this will entail is through a private and confidential consultation at the Edmond or Norman office of Dr. Jayesh Panchal.
Experienced, dedicated, thoughtful, and skilled, Dr. Panchal is committed to helping each of our patients find optimal health and happiness thought personalized and targeted plastic surgery procedures. Call 405-340-9949 or 405-310-6767 to schedule your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Panchal at our Edmond or Norman office.
Genesis Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa welcomes patients living in and around the Oklahoma City area.