Board-certified Oklahoma City plastic surgeon Dr. Jayesh Panchal offers both lip implants and dermal fillers to enhance the size, shape, and pout of the lips. The treatment that is best for your needs will be dependent on your unique attributes and specific goals. During your initial consultation, Dr. Panchal will listen to your concerns and carefully evaluate your natural features to help you determine which option is ideal.
What are Lip Implants?
Lip implants are a form of lip enhancement that involves creating small incisions in the corners of the mouth. Into which silicone implants can be placed.
Lip Implant Pros:
- Silicone implants are long-lasting and may continue to produce results for several years
Lip Implant Cons:
- Bruising and swelling are common after surgery
- Heightened risk of serious side effects such as infections, implant shifting, allergic reactions, lumps, prolonged swelling or bruising, and lip asymmetry
- Implant removal is extremely difficult
Is Lip Surgery Safe?
Lip augmentation with implants requires only small incisions and is generally considered safe. As with any surgery, there are risks of bleeding, infection, and unsatisfactory results. Your risks may be reduced when you choose a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs all procedures in an accredited surgical facility.
Lip implants are an effective way to produce a fuller and more symmetrical appearance. Once placed, they may last for decades – significantly longer than fillers. However, lip implants come with more risks than injections and may not be the best fit for every patient.
What are Lip Injections?
Lip augmentation through injections is accomplished with hyaluronic acid dermal fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Elevess.
Lip injection pros:
- Natural-looking improvement in the shape, structure, and volume of the lips
- The risks of long-term bruising or swelling are greatly reduced
- Allergic reactions are extremely rare
- Results for patients can last about a year
Lip injection cons:
- Bleeding, swelling, redness, tenderness, and bruising are common side effects
- Serious side effects include infections, allergic reactions, lumps, prolonged swelling or bruising, or lip asymmetry
- Results for lip injections are not permanent
How Long to Lip Injections Last?
Lip augmentation with fillers comes with fewer risks than implants, but will not produce results for the same length of time. Most lip fillers will restore volume for 12 to 18 months, but repeat injections will be needed to maintain results.
What Should I Expect After Getting Lip Injections?
After lip injections, you may experience some bruising and swelling. This is typically short-lived and should resolve with homecare and time. Most people are able to resume normal activities right away without any difficulties, though it can be nice to take a day or so to rest.
Recovery from lip implant placement may take two weeks or more. During this time, some activities will need to be avoided in order to reduce your risks for serious side effects. During your time in our care, we will cover all pre and postoperative instructions to make sure you are set up for the best experience possible.
Am I a Good Lip Augmentation Candidate?
The best way to find out if you are a good candidate for lip augmentation with fillers or implants is through a one-on-one consultation at one of our OKC area offices. During your consultation, Dr. Panchal will carefully evaluate your areas of concern, discuss all of your options, and help you chose the best solution for your needs.
Call Genesis Plastic Surgery at 405-340-9949 or 405-310-6767 to schedule a lip augmentation consultation at our Edmond or Norman location. We welcome patients from Oklahoma City and all surrounding areas of Oklahoma.