Eyebrows, eyes, nose, and lips – they’re all prominent features of the face that make each of us unique. Pouty-lipped superstars like Kylie Jenner and Selena Gomez have brought fuller lips front and center.
There are many ways to have your own pair of Hollywood lips, such as plumping lipsticks, lip lifts, or dermal grafts, but two ways that we at Genesis Plastic Surgery specialize in are lip implants and lip injections. We’ll cover the pros and cons of each of these procedures.
What are lip implants?
Lip implants are a form of lip enhancement that involves creating small incisions in the corners of the mouth. From there a plastic surgeon will insert the implants into the lips. There are various forms of implants that can be used including a patient’s skin or tissue, saline, or silicone.
Lip implant cons:
- Patients will experience bruising and swelling following the surgery.
- It’s difficult to remove implants after the procedure.
- Serious side effects include infections, implant shifting, allergic reactions, lumps, prolonged swelling or bruising, or lip asymmetry.
Lip implant pros:
- Lip implants provide patients a long-lasting result.
What are lip injections?
Lip injections, sometimes called dermal fillers, are small needles with hyaluronic acid that are injected into various places on the lips. Some brands of lip injections include Juvederm, Restylane, and Elevess.
Lip injection cons:
- Bleeding, swelling, redness, tenderness, and bruising are common side effects.
- Serious side effects include infections, allergic reactions, lumps, prolonged swelling or bruising, or lip asymmetry.
- Results for lip injections are not permanent.
Lip injection pros:
- These fillers improve the shape, structure, and volume of the lips.
- Fillers give doctors more control over the lip volume and the pace of the treatments.
- Patients typically experience less bruising, swelling, and allergic reactions compared to other forms of lip augmentation.
- Results for patients can last about a year.
While there are pros and cons to any procedure performed, it’s best to consult your plastic surgeon to determine the best course of action for your specific needs. Due to the high risks of complications, Dr. Panchal does not perform lip implants. To see what your lip injections would look like with our 3D Crisalix oculus imaging; schedule your appointment with Genesis Plastic Surgery.