Women’s sexual health products are becoming increasingly common, and several new procedures have emerged, all claiming to rejuvenate your vaginal health. We compared the two most popular treatments, ThermiVa and MonaLisa Touch, to help you come to a conclusion.
ThermiVa is one of the newer procedures on the market, but has the most positive results so far. This vaginal rejuvenation procedure is classified as a medical spa procedure because it is non-invasive, non-surgical, and non-hormonal. ThermiVa uses advanced radiofrequency heat technology to improve the appearance, elasticity and lubrication of the vagina. ThermiVa also treats incontinence by regenerating nervous tissue. It can also improve orgasmic function and can significantly improve the appearance of the outer labia.
ThermiVa’s wand is smaller than a finger, and is maneuvered manually by a physician to gently apply radiofrequency heat to all areas inside and outside of the vagina. Patients report absolutely no pain with this procedure, and can see and feel immediate results. ThermiVa patients are not required to have downtime and can resume sexual and physical activities immediately.
MonaLisa Touch primarily treats vaginal mucosa, also known as natural lubrication. As a result of the stimulation of the mucosa tissue, MonaLisa Touch also treats vaginal atrophy and minor incontinence associated with postpartum and menopause. MonaLisa Touch does not affect the outer labia; it is strictly meant to treat the inside tissues of the vagina.
This procedure is done with a CO2 fractional laser that creates micro-lesions to trigger collagen production. Some doctors use a general anesthetic before the procedure begins to reduce discomfort, though most patients do not report any pain. There are some possible side effects such as redness, swelling and discomfort, but most women say the side effects are temporary. MonaLisa patients are required to have around 3 days of downtime, with no sexual activity and some physical restrictions.
The Similarities between ThermiVa and MonaLisa Touch
- Both treat incontinence, lubrication, looseness.
- Both are minimally or non-invasive and can be done in the office.
- Both stimulate the body’s natural collagen.
- Both procedures are non-hormonal.
- Both procedures have a similar price range.
- ThermiVa uses heat; MonaLisa Touch uses a laser.
- ThermiVa’s wand is more narrow than a finger, while MonaLisa Touch’s laser is one inch in diameter.
- ThermiVa patients do not report any side effects; MonaLisa Touch patients have reported temporary redness, swelling and discomfort.
- ThermiVa does not require downtime or physical restrictions, while MonaLisa Touch recommends 1-3 days and light physical restrictions.
- ThermiVa results can last up to 2-3 years (after all treatments are completed); MonaLisa Touch treatments can last 40-60 days.
- ThermiVa can be used on the labia and clitoral area; MonaLisa Touch only affects the inside tissues of the vagina.
Which is right for you?
At Genesis, we believe ThermiVa is the best answer for women struggling with vaginal dryness, looseness, incontinence and orgasmic dysfunction. ThermiVa treats all of these symptoms with no downtime and without potentially damaging tissue (like a laser could). There are some cons to the MonaLisa procedure, such as downtime & side effects, while every review and experience ThermiVa patients have had so far are positive.