Excess facial or body hair can be a nagging cosmetic concern for women. While depilatories, shaving, waxing and electrolysis are common solutions for temporary hair removal, they can be uncomfortable, time-consuming and temporary.
At Genesis Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa in Oklahoma City, we offer laser hair removal as a revolutionary solution to control and eliminate unwanted hair.
This long-lasting, convenient and gentle solution can lessen unwanted hair in areas such as:
- Arms or underarms
- Female bikini area
- Male bikini area
The following information will address common questions and concerns relating to laser hair removal. If you still have questions, please feel free to contact us by calling 405-340-9949. Genesis Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa serves patients in and around Edmond, Norman, and other areas of Oklahoma.
- How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
- Advantages of Laser Hair Removal
- Are You a Good Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
- How Many Laser Treatments Will You Need?
Our laser hair removal procedure uses a low-energy laser to gently remove unwanted hair. The laser energy passes through the skin and is absorbed by the pigment in the hair follicle. In a fraction of a second, the energy is transformed into heat and the follicle destroyed.
The procedure is quick and convenient – full-face, bikini and underarm treatments could take as little as 15-30 minutes. Hair follicles are in different growth cycles and some may be active and some may be dormant. Therefore, several treatments (typically six) are required to destroy hair follicles in different growth cycles. Since the laser targets the pigment of the hair follicle, laser hair is most effective on light-skinned patients with dark hair.
No procedure can guarantee permanent hair removal, but most patients can expect a major reduction in hair growth, leaving remaining hair thinner and lighter in color.
- A safe, effective alternative to daily or weekly shaving
- Useful for large or tough-to-reach areas
- If you are light-skinned and dark-haired, you are an ideal candidate for laser hair removal. As a rule, the pigment in dark hair absorbs more laser energy, making black or brown hair easier to treat.
- Light hair, such as blonde, red or gray, contains a pigment that absorbs laser energy less readily and therefore does not respond as well.
- While laser treatments for darker-skinned patients have improved the amount and texture of unwanted hair in these patients, patients with tanned skin are not ideal candidates. It is recommended they wait at least four weeks until their tan fades before proceeding with laser hair removal.
The number of hair removal treatments that you will need for optimal long-term benefits usually depends on a few factors, including:
- The area being treated
- The density of the hair
A Patient’s Hair Distribution Is Also Affected by a Few Factors, Including:
Total hair removal usually requires six to eight sessions for optimal results.