If you are considering a Mommy Makeover…
Pregnancy can take its toll on a woman’s body and can result in sagging, skin laxity, and tissue/volume loss. A Mommy Makeover consists of a breast augmentation/lift, tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), and liposuction.
As women age, they lose the elasticity in their skin. This can cause the breasts to sag. Sagging breasts can also happen after extreme weight loss or pregnancy. The surgery for lifting the breasts is called a mastopexy.
- A breast lift can also reduce the size of the areola, which is the dark skin around the nipple.
- If your breasts are too small or have lost volume, breast implants can be inserted as well as a in addition to a breast lift. This can increase both their firmness and size.
Breast augmentation can help improve the shape and lost volume of your breasts by using implants. There are two types of implants: saline or silicone.
Mutiple pregnancies can also result in stretched muscles and excess skin that may benefit from an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). There are various tummy tuck options available, such as traditional/circumferential/mini tummy tuck.
This removes excess skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen, and tightens the muscles of the abdominal wall.
By combining the two, the procedure can dramatically reduce the appearance of a protruding abdomen.
Liposuction may be added to an abdominoplasty to enhance the results. Liposuction, or suction lipectomy, is a very popular procedure to remove fat from unwanted areas. It is essential to be as close to your ideal weight as possible.
Are you a good candidate for Mommy Makeover?
This is an ideal procedure for women who want to restore back to their pre-pregnancy body. It is recommended that you let your body heal for about 3-6 months after delivery before having any plastic surgery procedures. Breastfeeding needs to have been stopped so that the true size of your breast can be evaluated. Women who are done with having more children are also good candidates.
You should wait to have a Mommy Makeover surgery if:
- You intend to lose a lot of weight
- You plan more pregnancies
- Your BMI is > 30
If you plan to have children, it is best to postpone surgery until later, as your breasts will change in size and shape during pregnancy. The best results are obtained if you have adequate cup size, but your breasts have sagged over time.
Plan for Your Mommy Makeover Surgery
During your initial consultation, Dr. Panchal will examine your body and ask which medications you take and whether you smoke or not. It is very important that you stop smoking prior to and after surgery.
- Dr. Panchal will examine your breasts, take measurements and check for asymmetry. Having done that, he will then discuss with you whether you will need breast implants, or not, in conjunction with the breast lift surgery. This will depend on the size and shape of your breasts, your weight, your expectations, and finally on your initial breast volume.
- Dr. Panchal will also discuss with you the size of the areola and whether they need to be reduced during surgery or not.
- He will then describe to you how the procedure is done and tell you where the incisions will be following the surgery. He will also explain the anesthesia used, the type of facility where surgery will take place, and the cost involved.
In your initial consultation, it is important to discuss your expectations frankly with Dr. Panchal. Every patient has a different view of what is a desirable size and shape for breasts.
- If you have minimum or mild excess of skin, Dr. Panchal will recommend a mini-abdominoplasty. If you have excessive skin, you will receive a regular abdominoplasty.
- It is not unusual to add liposuction to your love handles, or the thighs and abdomen, to further enhance your outcome. Dr. Panchal will inform you that you will need to wear a compression garment for around six weeks afterward to reduce pain and swelling following surgery.
Where Your Surgery Will Be Performed
Dr. Panchal will perform the breast augmentation and/or mastopexy (breast lift) and abdominoplasty, with or without liposuction, in Oklahoma City at a hospital outpatient facility.
Types of Anesthesia Used
Breast augmentation, mastopexy, and abdominoplasty can be performed with a general anesthesia, so you’ll sleep through the entire procedure.
The Surgery: Your Mommy Makeover Explained
The method of inserting and positioning your implant will depend on your anatomy. There are three locations where the incisions could be made:
- Under the underarms
- Around the areola
- Under the breasts
Each incision has its advantages and disadvantages, and Dr. Panchal will discuss and recommend what is best for you prior to surgery, during the consultation. In the vast majority of patients, the final incision will be barely visible six months to a year following the surgery.
Once the incision has been made, Dr. Panchal will lift the breast and muscle and place the implant in the space created. The implant will be inserted, and the incision will be closed in multiple layers.
This surgery usually takes one to two hours to complete.
Mastopexy (Breast Lift)
Mastopexy usually takes one and a half to two hours to perform. If implants are placed, there is an additional hour added to the time.
- The incision for a mastopexy (breast lift) and the augmentation is in the shape of a popsicle or small anchor. It is place around the nipple and a vertical part that extends from the nipple to the intermammary fold. The incision outlines the area from which breast skin will be removed, and defines the new location for the nipple.
- When the excess skin has been removed, the nipple and areola are moved to the higher position. The skin surrounding the areola is then brought down and together to reshape the breast.
- Stitches are usually located around the areola in a vertical line, extending downward from the nipple area, and sometimes along the lower crease of the breast.
- If you’re having an implant inserted along with your breast lift, it will be placed in a pocket directly under the muscle of the chest wall. Please refer to Breast Enlargement/Breast Augmentation for more information on this procedure.
A complete abdominoplasty usually takes two and a half hours to three and a half hours, depending on the extent of work required. Mini abdominoplasty may take one to two hours.
- The skin incision is commonly made from the right to left hip bone, just above your pubic area, so that the scar is very well hidden.
- This procedure involves lifting skin and fat from the underlying fascia all the way up to your ribs.
- The skin around your navel is released. Then, Dr. Panchal will tighten the muscles (your abs) and contour them by suturing them together. This dramatically changes the contour of the abdomen.
- If you have some laxity of skin in your flanks or on the outsides of your thighs, Dr. Panchal may sometimes extend the incision into the flank. This allows him to remove excess skin from the flank and lift your thighs. This will result in an hourglass shape and allow you to wear low-cut jeans and tuck your shirt in – no more bulging on the sides.
- The excess fat and skin is then trimmed so that you have no excess and wrinkly skin.
- A new navel is created for you and the incision is closed in many layers. You will have two drains that will be left for around three to five days.
It is difficult to predict the time required to perform this surgery. Small-area liposuction can be performed in an hour, but rmore time is needed when three to five areas undergo liposuction. The techniques vary depending on what is the best procedure for your individual needs and desires.
- A small incision is made and fluid is injected into the site undergoing liposuction. This fluid makes it easier to remove the fat, and at the same time reduces the amount of bleeding and bruising.
- A tumescent technique or a super wet technique will be used for injecting the amount of fluid.
- After waiting for five minutes, a very small cannula measuring 3-4 mm (the size of a pencil) will be inserted and connected to a strong medical suction.
- The cannula is moved back and forth until all the fat has been taken out. Sometimes a mechanical vibrating cannula is used, and sometimes an ultrasonic probe is used to help the process of removal of the fat.
- Once the necessary amount of contouring is done, the very small incisions are closed, and the pressure garment is applied.
How is Dr. Panchal different from other surgeons?
It is critical to choose the right number of procedures based on your overall age and fitness. Dr. Panchal will let you know, honestly, if you are exceeding the safe limits – your safety is our utmost concern at Genesis.
It is also important to choose the right procedure and Dr. Panchal will spend time with you to set goals and plan the surgery so that you can get the outcome you expect. Listening to the patient is very important, and Dr. Panchal will set aside all the time needed for you, until all your questions are answered.
After Your Mommy Makeover Surgery
After your surgery, Dr. Panchal will use a long acting local anesthetic in your incisions. This medication called Exparel will give pain relief for as long as three says post- surgery. Dr. Panchal will prescribe medication so that much of your discomfort can be controlled.
Soon after your surgery, your dressings will be taken off and you will use a surgical bra. For about two weeks, you will feel a burning sensation in your nipples, but this will settle down.
Swelling will take three to five weeks to disappear.
Getting Back to Normal
Depending on the number of procedures performed, the downtime will vary between two to three weeks. It is important to keep in mind that you will need someone to be with you for two to three days 24/7.
You will need to wear a compression garment for six weeks after your surgery.
At three weeks, when the swelling is all but gone, you will see yourself in the mirror – the well-contoured tummy, the dramatic change in the contour of your love handles and lower back. You will simply love it!
Your New Image
Your results after the Mommy Makeover can be highly satisfying as you learn to love your new self. You should still have follow-ups even after your Mommy Makeover surgery. You should also conduct monthly breast self-exams and schedule regular diagnostic breast screenings.
Keep in mind that you will need to continue to exercise and eat a lifelong balanced diet if you wish to continue to enjoy your new body for years to come.