Male Breast Surgery
Male breast surgery, or surgery for enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia), is a very common procedure among males with visibly large breasts. This procedure removes fat from unwanted areas. It was one of the top five cosmetic surgery procedures for men in 2012.
There are many factors that can cause enlarged breasts in males, including:
- Abnormalities in the testicles
- Alteration in hormone levels
- Application of steroids for weight training
- Some drugs
- Rarely, a tumor can grow within the male breast, resulting in a lump that can be felt. These tend to be on one side.
Planning Your Surgery
If you are interested in male breast reduction surgery, please contact our office to schedule a consultation. During your initial consultation, Dr. Panchal will examine your chest, discuss how the surgery will be performed, show you where the incisions will be made, and discuss the final outcome that can be expected.
There are two types of surgery that can be performed to reduce the size of on male breasts. The first, and most common, is liposuction. The second is surgical removal of the breast tissue. If you have a hard lump underneath the nipples, an incision and surgical removal of this hard tissue may be necessary. However, if there is no hard tissue and your breasts are enlarged due to soft tissue, liposuction is all you will need.
Furthermore, Genesis Plastic Surgery uses 3D Crisalix OCULUS virtual technology to help you decide if male breast surgery is right for you. Using virtual reality glasses, you will be able to “see” how a breast surgery will change your overall appearance before making your decision. For more information about our 3D Crisalix OCULUS technology, click here. .
The procedure will be performed in an outpatient surgery center or in the office, depending on the size and amount of tissue that needs to be removed.
Small-volume male breast surgery can be performed under local anesthesia but moderate to large volumes of male breast surgery need to be performed under general anesthesia.
- Liposuction –Small-area liposuction can be performed in an hour, but more time is needed when 3-5 areas undergo liposuction. The techniques used vary depending on the patient. If the tumescent technique (or super-wet technique) is used, Dr, Panchal will make a small incision and inject a small amount of fluid into the area. This will reduce the amount of bruising after surgery. Next, Dr. Panchal will use a small cannula measuring 3-4 mm, or the size of a pencil, connected to a medical suction to remove the excess fat. There are two types of cannulas—mechanical vibrating and ultrasonic. Dr. Panchal will choose between these cannulas depending on the extent of the liposuction. After all the excess fat is removed, Dr. Panchal will close the small incisions. You will have to wear a compression garment for several weeks following surgery.
- Surgical Removal –In some cases, there may be excessive hard tissue underneath the nipple. A small incision is placed at the junction of the nipple and the surrounding breast skin. The hard tissue is removed through the incision and the incision is closed with dissolving stitches.
How does Dr. Panchal differ from other surgeons?
Liposuction is performed using power-assisted liposuction. Dr. Panchal uses the latest technique and equipment to perform liposuction. This unique technique allows Dr. Panchal to use a hollow tube (liposuction cannula), which vibrates very rapidly to easily break up fat cells. This allows Dr. Panchal to quickly remove large amounts of fat through a small incision. He uses special cannulas to prevent rippling in the skin, which creates an unnatural look. To learn more about the equipment and products used for the buttock lift procedure, please visit http://www.microaire.com/products/microaire-aesthetics/pal-liposculptor/
After male breast reduction surgery, many surgeons leave a chest that looks hollow and concave. Typically, the area around the nipple protrudes just a little and there is decreasing amount of thickness from this central location to areas over the periphery. Dr. Panchal strives very hard to give you a natural look.
What are the risks associated with male breast reduction surgery?
Male breast reduction surgery is very safe if performed by an experienced surgeon. Some patients may notice irregularity in their skin surface and some may have temporary swelling. The swelling generally disappears within 2-6 weeks. Very rarely, there may be a collection of blood at the incision site, which requires additional surgery to remove the clot. Infection is extremely rare after this surgery. There could be some asymmetry of the breasts after surgery, which can be resolved by a small revision surgery
Returning to Normal Life
The healing process takes many weeks. It is important to be patient and wait 3-6 weeks for the swelling to subside before evaluating your results. There will be some firmness at the incision site that will gradually soften. Generally, patients can go back to work within a few days. The stitches will dissolve in 10 days to 2 weeks. There will be some fluid drainage from the incision site for the first 1-2 days. Dr. Panchal will monitor you closely and will be available if you have any questions or concerns.
Your New Look
Once the swelling subsides, you will notice the difference in the shape of your chest. With each passing week you’ll continue to see changes, until 3-6 months after surgery.